Every licensed, real estate agent, must demonstrate a certain, basic level, of professionalism, and knowledge, in order to get their license, in their state. However, in the real world, all agents, are not created equal! Many characteristics are involved, including, experience, empathy, integrity, ethical behavior/ standards, marketing/ selling/ negotiating skills and expertise, etc. However, after more than a decade, as a Real Estate Licensed Salesperson, in the State of New York, I believe, perhaps, the most important consideration, a potential client, should make, is, whether the representative/ agent, adheres to the highest standards of ethical behavior and genuine ETHICS. Not only is this necessary, but is a requirement of most state’s, as well as Real Estate Boards. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and represents, and why, it’s such an important consideration.
1. Entire; empathy; envision: Your agent must recognize, realize, and articulate the entire, bigger – picture, not merely, the convenient information. I believe, strongly, in my trademarked slogan, I will always tell you what you need to know, not just want to hear! (TM) When these standards, are combined with a willingness to effectively listen, and learn, and proceed with genuine empathy, the individual, distinguishes himself, from the rest – of – the – pack! Great agents envision the possibilities, and serve their clients, effectively!
2. Timely: An ethical agent must, never procrastinate, but, rather, consistently, proceed, with well- considered, timely action! Hire someone, who will, follow – up, and follow – through, on every possibility, etc.
3. Head/ heart: There are, both, emotional, as well as logical components, of ethical representation! The emotional, include, caring about one’s clients, and their best – interests! The logical component, necessitates, realizing, it’s a duty, and responsibility, to proceed, with the utmost level of fiduciary responsibility, and protecting/ serving a client’s best – interests! I refer to this as the head/ heart balance of being a quality, real estate agent!
4. Integrity; ideas; ideology; imagination: One must possess genuine integrity, especially, when taking a short – cut, and/ or, path of least resistance, might be easier! Seek someone with the best combination of relevant ideas, quality core ideology, and the imagination, to make a significant difference, for the better!
5. Character; cooperate; clarity: Measure the quality of one’s character, and willingness, to proceed, with a willingness, to cooperate! Great agents must proceed, with the level of clarity, which makes the entire transaction period, more comfortable, and less stressful, for their clients!
6. Service; system; solutions: Ask yourself, whether the agent, you hire, prioritizes service, and demonstrates a professional marketing, and selling system, which provides the solutions, you seek!
ETHICS is an essential component, and necessity, of being a professional real estate agent! How can one represent you, without the utmost ethics and integrity?